Lauki ki Barfi is a delicious, melt in mouth traditional Indian sweet. A fudge often made on festivals like Krishna Janmashtami , Dushera and Diwali. This fudge can be easily prepared at home ahead of the festival as it has a shelf life of about a week.
Bottle gourd / lauki is considered as a Sattvik food ( food which are fresh , juicy , light , nourishing and which offer calmness and add vitality to our body system. Hence it is consumed during fasts / Vrat. Bottle gourd happens to be a happy vegetable at my home and I usually make Bottle Gourd Raita / Doodhi chi Koshimbir, Lauki Ki Kheer / Bottle gourd Pudding apart from the Doohi thalipeeth and doodhi chi bhaji. This time I tried this fudge and this was also a big hit in my family.
Bottle gourd fudge can be prepared in many ways. Grated bottle gourd is either cooked and reduced in milk , or condensed milk is added to grated bottle gourd. Milk powder can also be added. Here, I am sharing a recipe which calls for use of Khoya / Mava / Milk Solids. Usually this fudge is flavored with cardamom and Saffron , this time I tried flavoring it with Gulkand ( Rose Petal Jam ) and it turned out super yum.
Serves: 25-30 square fudge pieces
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
Ingredients: Measurements- 1 cup =200 ml
· 2 Cup grated and squeezed Bottle gourd
· 1 Cup Sugar
· 1 cup Khoya / Mava / Milk Solids
· 2 tbsp. Ghee
· 2 tbsp. Rose petal jam (gulkand)
· 2-3 tbsp. chopped nuts of your choice
· 1 tsp cardamom powder
· Silver leaf / Chandi ka Varq (Optional)
1. Wash, peel and grate the Bottle gourd using a grater. Discard the large seeds if any. Keep it aside for 10 minutes.
2. Squeeze out all the juice from the grated bottle gourd with your hands. This will save both time and gas. This juice can be used in soups or dal.
3. In a heavy bottom wok, heat ghee on medium flame. Add the squeezed out grated bottle gourd and stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Now cover cook for 2-3 minutes or until the bottle gourd is dry .
4. Now add sugar and Gulkand ( Rose petal jam ) and mix well. Cook the mixture for 5 -7 minutes.
5. Add crumbled khoya to this mixture. Mix well and cook on a low flame for about 5 minutes. Add the chopped Nuts at this stage. Cook until the mixture thickens and leaves the sides of the pan. This will take another 7-10 minutes. Keep stirring continuously to ensure the mixture does not catch the bottom of the wok.
6. Add cardamom powder . Mix well and put off the flame.
7. Pour the fudge mixture to a greased tray. Tap it from top with the bottom of a greased bowl to give flat surface. Add silver Varq to the fudge and allow it to set. After 10-15 minutes cut the fudge into desired shapes.
I hope you would love to give this fudge recipe a try this festive season. Do not forget to give your valuable feed back.
For more fudge recipes , do check my posts on