The 2019 Cricket World Cup is the worst edition of an ICC event. I can state 3 reasons behind this
- Rains killing the excitement for the matches
- ICC limiting the number of teams to 10
- The immovable bails
Rains in England: The biggest disappointment in this World cup is the weather. Almost half of the matches have been affected by rains. 3 out of 18 matches have been fully abandoned and another match was ruined with no result.
- No of ODI WC matches played between 1975 and 2015 - 402
- No of matches abandoned between 1975 and 2015 - 2
- No of matches abandoned in 2019 WC, without a ball bowled - 3
- No of matches with no result in 2019 WC - 1
Cricket fans are not tensed whether their favorite team is going to win or not, they are tensed whether the match commences without any interruption or not.
ICC should consider the climatic conditions before organizing such major tournaments.
The memes created on this World Cup is very painful to watch for a Cricket fan.
The number of teams playing the ICC World Cup 2019: ICC had limited the number of teams playing the main edition of the World Cup to 10.
- This is the first ever World Cup in which a Full Member is not playing the World Cup - Ireland and Zimbabwe.
- This is only the 3rd WC in which there is no debutant team - 1987 and 2011 are the other 2 instances.
- This is the first world cup in 27 years, in which the number of teams playing is limited to 10.
How can a tournament, which is played by just 10 teams, be called a World Cup?
Earlier, World Cup used to be the only occasion where minor teams faced major teams. It used to be the platform for them to showcase their talent.
The world wouldn't have known the talent of Kevin O'Brian from Ireland and John Davison from Canada. We wouldn't have witnessed the awesomeness of Dwayne Leverock from Bermuda, if he wouldn't have played the World Cup.
ICC should plan to propagate the game to the associate nations further, but not restrict the game to the nations which fetch money to it.
The problem with the bails in this World Cup: The 2019 World cup has been witnessing a weird problem with the newly introduced electronic bails.
These bails are not moving even after the ball has struck the wickets firmly. In the first 18 matches, 5 such instances have been witnessed.
- Adil Rashid vs Quinton De Cock
- Trent Boult vs Dimuth Karunaratne
- Mitchell Starc vs Chris Gayle
- Ben Stokes vs Mohammad Saifuddin
- Jasprith Bumrah vs David Warner
In this batsman dominant era, the life of bowlers has become difficult. These bails have worsened even more.