Troubling news. This week a panel of scientists suggested that going vegan was not only “completely unnecessary”, but potentially even bad for the planet. “If everybody went vegan, it would be devastating for the UK environment,” said Professor Mike Coffey, from Scotland’s Rural College. “Animals bred for food help boost biodiversity.”
No doubt these comments will worry the more fashionable metropolitan types among us. In recent years, more and more of them have been boasting about their conversion to veganism, and lecturing everyone else about the dangers of meat. If it turns out they’ve been on the wrong track all along, it would be horribly embarrassing.
On the other hand: maybe they’ll simply...
We’re glad you’re enjoying
Register or subscribe to continue reading
Already a subscriber? Log in
- One free Premium article per week
- Newsletters and daily briefings
30 days free, then £3 per week
- Unlimited access to Premium articles
- Subscriber-only newsletters
- Exclusive subscriber events and rewards
- The daily newspaper on your smartphone or tablet
Want to learn more? View subscription options