The ICC World Cup 2019 is all set to begin from May 30, the 12th edition of the mega event will be played in England and Wales.
While the World cup has once again returned to its old style and it will be played in the round robin and knockout format. And it considered that due to this format, the fun of the World Cup will be doubled.
In the year 1975, the World Cup was started with this format and it was played for six consecutive editions and it was played last time in 1996 World Cup. And now, after 23 years, this format has returned to the World Cup.
India won the first World Cup in 1983 in this format. Now, after 23 years, the ICC again expressed confidence in this format and excepting this form will bring more tough competition among the teams.
What is Round Robin and Knockout Format?
In this format, all the participating teams in the tournament will play against each other. A total of 10 teams are participating in this World Cup and all the teams will play with each other. This time around 45 league matches will be played and after this, the top four teams will reach the semi-finals (Knockout).
The number one team in the top four will be facing the team at number fourth spot and the team at the second spot will face the team which finished at the third spot. This time every team will have an equal opportunity to reach the semi-finals.
ICC World Cup Formats:
- 1st World Cup 1975 - Round Robin and Knockout Format
- 2nd World Cup 1979 - Round robin and knockout Format
- 3rd World Cup 1983 - Round Robin and Knockout Format
- 4th World Cup 1987 - Round Robin and Knockout Format
- 5th World Cup 1992 - Round Robin and Knockout Format
- 6th World Cup 1996 - Round Robin and Knockout Format
- 7th World Cup 1999 - Group Stage and Super Six Format
- 8th World Cup 2003 - Group Stage and Super Six Format
- 9th World Cup 2007 - Group Stage and Knockout Format
- 10th World Cup 2011- Group Stage and Knockout Format
- 11th World Cup 2015 - Group Stage and knockout format
- 12th World Cup 2019 - Round Robin and Knockout Format