Very Interesting Facts
1. Portland was named by a coin flip. Had the coin landed the other way, the city would be Boston, Oregon.
2. In Great Britain and Japan, black cats are perceived as auspicious. In the English Midlands, new brides are given black cats to bless their marriage, and the Japanese believe that black cats are good luck—particularly for single women.
3. Count von Count's love of numbers isn't just a quirky character trait—in traditional vampire folklore, the bloodsuckers have arithmomania, a compulsion to count.
4. In Japan, letting a sumo wrestler make your baby cry is considered good luck.
5. J.K. Simmons has been the voice of the Yellow Peanut M&M since the late 1990s.
6. Maya Angelou was the first black female streetcar conductor in San Francisco.
7. The Russians showed up 12 days late to the 1908 Olympics in London because they were using the Julian calendar instead of the Gregorian calendar.