Satisfy your KFC popcorn chicken cravings sitting at home with these KFC Style Spicy Popcorn Chicken bites that are so close to the real thing and are healthier! Dip these little pieces of glory into Sriracha Mayo Dip and enjoy the loud crunch!
I think I’ve got you covered as far as irresistible fast food goes with this KFC Style Spicy Popcorn Chicken. So the thing is, I’m not a big KFC fan. Sorry KFC lovers. But their popcorn chicken I’m partial to. I know it’s not healthy. And all the calories. After all it’s just pieces of fried chicken. But there is something about them being bite sized and coated in a sweet spicy spice rub that I find so irresistible.
300 grams Chicken (Boneless)
Oil for Frying
1 tablespoon Ginger Garlic (paste)
1 teaspoon Oregano (dried)
1 teaspoon Chili Powder (or Paprika Powder)
Salt to taste
3/4 cup Flour
1/2 cup Buttermilk
3/4 cup Panko (Breadcrumbs)
to taste Salt (and Pepper)
1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Kashmiri Chilli Powder (or Paprika Powder)
3/4 teaspoon Sugar (Powdered)
1/2 teaspoon Oregano (dried)
* Cut the boneless chicken into 1 inch bite sized pieces.
* Mix together all the ingredients under marinade and rub all over the chicken. Marinate for at least half an hour.
* Season the flour and panko breadcrumbs for coating with salt and pepper.
* To start making popcorn chicken, arrange an assembly line of sorts. Place flour, buttermilk and breadcrumbs next to each other along with the chicken.
* Arrange a wire rack to place the chicken once crumb coated.
* Now start by lightly coating the chicken with flour. Dip it in buttermilk next, and then coat with breadcrumbs.
* Repeat for each piece of chicken, and keep placing them on the wire rack.
* Heat oil for frying and deep fry in batches on medium heat till the chicken is cooked through and lightly brown on the outside.
* In the meanwhile, mix together all the ingredients under spice mix.
* Dust the chicken pieces with the spice mix as soon as they are fried. This helps coat the mixture all over the chicken. I usually sprinkle the spicy mix and toss the chicken in it while it’s still hot.
* Serve hot with some sriracha mayo dipping sauce or schezwan sauce.