The BCCI initiated the revolutionary IPL in 2008 with the goal of glorifying the game's shortest format in India with Eight city based franchises in which one of the team was Royal Challengers Bangalore shortly RCB.
RCB started it's IPL journey from the first season itself and has played 12 seasons with legendary players in the squad every year and has played IPL finals for 3 times but still hasn't won single title which is still a black mark on the franchise. So, we'll now take a look at the first squad of RCB.
Star players in the RCB 2008 squad are as follows :
1. Rahul Dravid - The first Captain of the side was 'The Wall' of Indian Cricket. As Karnataka was his native it was the obvious choice of Dravid being representing RCB side. Currently he is the coach for Indian junior cricket teams.
2. Anil Kumble - Another all time greatest also represented RCB and played many memorable matches in RCB fans heart. Recently he was the coach of Team India but was replaced by Ravi Shastri.
3. Zaheer Khan - Here comes the all time best pace bowler of Indian cricket. Zaheer Khan played for RCB in 2008 and then exchanged for MI and again he came back in 2011. Now he is the bowling coach of MI.
4. Shivnarine Chanderpaul - The West Indian highly famous across the world for his batting stance. Now he has retired from cricket.
5. Jacques Kallis - Yet another all time greatest player in world cricket, not so successful in the shorter format but still was a great asset for the side in 2008. Currently he is the head coach of KKR side.
6. Virat Kohli - The world's no.1 batsmen still represents the same squad and stand as the only cricketer to play for the same side for 12 seasons.
7. Dale Steyn - Another all time greatest in the side, played 9 seasons of IPL. He was unsold at the 2019 auctions but bought as a replacement for RCB side.
8. Ross Taylor - One of the best batsmen New Zealand has got. He is currently playing the world cup for NZ. But was unsold in IPL auctions.
9. Praveen Kumar - The swing specialist had the least international career and now he is unsold due to his inconsistency but still playing Domestic cricket.
10. Vinay Kumar - The Medium pace bowler who is also the Captain of Karnataka Ranji team has played many IPL seasons. This time he was unsold at the auctions.
11. Bhuvaneshwar Kumar - The swing specialist has been in the RCB squad in first three seasons. Currently he played for SRH and preparing for WC.
12. Misbah-ul-Haq - The Pakistani cricketer played for RCB in the only edition where Pak players were allowed. Currently he is retired from competitive cricket.
13. Mark Boucher - The international cricketer whose career ended in a sad way kept wicket for RCB. Now, he is resting after the retirement.
14. Wasim Jaffer - The most successful domestic cricket player in India, once played for RCB and he also represented Team India. Now, he has took retirement.
15. Sunil Joshi - He had a short career in international level but still the successful domestic cricketer in India. Now he does the cricket commentary in Kannada language.
Though the squad had 5 greatest player of the game at that time but still ended at the bottom two of the points table in 2008. This shows that name doesn't mean anything in cricket it's just the game on the field shows how great you are as a player.
Only Virat, Bhuvaneshwar and Steyn were the only 3 players to be the part of IPL 2019.