Jharkhand: Over 40 Children Fall Ill After Eating Saraswati Puja Prasad
New Delhi: In Jharkhand's Lohardaga, over 40 children fell severely ill after eating Saraswati Puja prasad at a school on Sunday. As per the reports of the news agency, two of them are critical a doctor at the local hospital.
Saraswati Puja was being celebrated at the school, yesterday and boondis (sweets) were distributed among the children after the puja, said one of the parents. Within hours of eating the sweets the children started vomiting.
Dr SS Khalid of the Sadar Hospital said, "So far 40 children have come here. One or two are in a critical condition. It is a case of food poisoning, we are treating them accordingly," adding that most of them are six or seven years old.
"The administration is investigating, we will take action against whoever is found guilty. We will get the food sample examined to find out the cause," said Ratan Mahwar, the District Education Officer of Lohardaga.
The organisers had claimed that the ingredients for making the boondis were bought from the local shop and nothing seemed wrong with them.
Karnataka deputy chief minister G Parameshwara had said, in December, over a dozen died after eating prasad at a temple in Karnataka's Chamarajnagar. The prasad's samples have been sent for forensic examination and were found to be laced with monocrotophos and organophosphate that are dangerous for human beings.
Karnataka deputy chief minister who holds the home portfolio, told the state assembly that seven people were taken into custody in connection with the incident. Mr Parameshwara added that some of the suspects have left the village and a search was on to catch them.
It has been reported that around 150 people were served vegetable rice as prasad and within half-an-hour of consuming it, people started falling ill.
(With inputs from ANI & PTI)