UC News

Jammu education dept fee collection order to private schools has parents in a fix

Jammu education dept fee collection order to private schools has parents in a fix

Tribune News Service

Jammu, May 22

A recent order of the School Education Department to allow recognised unaided private schools to collect tuition fee from students on monthly basis for the lockdown period has created confusion rather than clarity among parents.

The aggrieved parents have claimed that the messages sent by private schools to them regarding fee collection have no mention about the fee structure for the lockdown period. “After the government ordered private schools to collect tuition fee on monthly basis, the next day we received a message from the school authorities to deposit fee through online mode and send snapshot of the receipt for maintaing the accounts,” said Gautam Kumar, a parent. “But there is no specific mention about the fee details, for example whether the fee is month or forquarterly basis. The government has specifically told schools not to collect fee on quarterly basis,” he added.

Apart from sending messages to collect tuition fee, some schools had also directed parents to collect books from particular shops, said Kamlesh, another parent. “It is clearly mentioned in the government order that annual fees, if any, can be charged monthly on pro-rata basis after schools reopen, but still many private schools are asking for the same, which is a clear

violation of the order. The authorities should get details of fees being collected by private schools from the parents so that they come to know whether they have not charged anything extra except tuition fee,” said Vinod Sharma, a parent.

Director School Education, Jammu, Anuradha Gupta said the parents should go through an advisory issued by the department recently. “The parents can form an association and elect or nominate a 10-member panel which can understand advisory rules. Let them ask private schools to put up a grievance mechanism. If the schools fail to do that, they can formally lodge a complaint with the directorate along with documentary proof.

All this is provided in the advisory. They can even enrol their children with directorate for online education,” she said.

Open UCNews to Read More Articles