Earth is the only planet of our solar system where living organisms are found. It has one natural satellite (moon) and other numerous artificial satellites that orbit around it. It is nearly 15 million KM away from the sun.
1. The oceans contain enough salt to cover all the continents to a depth of nearly 500 feet.
2. The largest desert in the world, the Sahara, is 3,500,000 square miles.
3. Almost 1/3 of the earth land surface is covered with desert. The Sahara Desert is just slightly smaller than the entire land area of the United States.
4. Parts of the Atacama Desert in Northern Chile have gone without rain for 400 years.
5. The Earth’s atmosphere weighs about 5.5 quadrillion tons.
6. The earth contains 70% water body and 30% land.
7. Earth is the only planet where plate tectonics has been observed.
8. At over 2000 kilometers long, the great barrier reef is the largest living structure on earth.
9. It is believed that water on earth has come from asteroid.
10. Earth’s magnetic field stops its atmosphere from being stripped away by the solar wind. Venus and Mars have don’t have magnetic fields, and as a result the solar wind is causing their atmosphere to gradually bleed away into space.
Please comment about this article and follow my channel (WORLDPHYSICS) for new articles.