Hyderabad: Coronavirus Victim's Funeral, No Family, Just Health Workers
NEW DELHI: On Saturday, a 74-year-old man in Hyderabad was the first person in Telangana to die of coronavirus. His samples, which were taken after his death, tested positive for the extremely infectious virus that has contaminated over 1,000 people in the country and killed 29 till now.
The elderly man was buried on Saturday with no family members and only in the presence of health workers. His bereaved family was under home quarantine.
In funerals, not more than 20 persons are allowed, according to the guidelines for the 21-day nationwide lockdown, declared by Prime Minister Narendra Modi last Tuesday to combat the expanse of coronavirus.
Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrashekar Rao said that the man was known to be coronavirus-positive only after his death when he was brought to the hospital. The man had other complexities as well, he said.
Mr Rao referred to as KCR, said that the number of coronavirus cases in the state touched 70 with three people testing positive for the virus on Sunday.
Mr Rao urged to migrant workers not to leave Telangana during the lockdown and assured that the state government will provide each person with 12 kg rice of flour, Rs 500 cash assistance and shelter.
The Chief Minister's appeal came on a day when tens of thousands of migrant workers hitting roads in a bid to return to their hometowns and villages were reported in different parts of the country including Delhi and Kerala.
Earlier this month, the last sacraments of a 68-year-old woman in Delhi, who died after being contaminated with coronavirus, were done under the supervision of medical authorities.
Doctors and civic bodyworkers oversaw the funeral after the crematorium staff reached out to the authorities seeking directives on ensuring that the infection didn't spread from the body. The crematorium authorities had delayed the last rites by a few hours and approached municipal authorities to seek directives.