How much do you spend on a bottle of wine? This week, front-page headlines trumpeted that one in three of us won’t pay more than a fiver. Given that tax and duty amounts to around £3 per bottle and you’ve got to lump on a bit for the bottle itself, the packaging and so on, that means you’re only allowing a few pence for the wine. I humbly suggest you’d be better off forking out for a mojito in a can from M&S.
Wine snobbery is very boring. But taking a bottle that cost £5 to a pal’s for supper is a tiny bit cheap. Sorry. It is. I’ve conducted one of my highly scientific polls among my mates and the verdict is you should fork out around a tenner. Spend £10 and you should get a bottle with a posh...
We’re glad you’re enjoying
Register or subscribe to continue reading
Already a subscriber? Log in
- One free Premium article per week
- Newsletters and daily briefings
30 days free, then £3 per week
- Unlimited access to Premium articles
- Subscriber-only newsletters
- Exclusive subscriber events and rewards
- The daily newspaper on your smartphone or tablet
Want to learn more? View subscription options