Sun, father and mother of our Solar System is 149.6 million kilometers far away from us. It is a medium sized star and a nearly perfect sphere of fire. It has a diameter is 1.39 million kilometers and It accounts for about 99.86% of the total mass of the Solar System. Wow! That's amazing. Below is a list of 10 more facts that are as interesting as the ones you just read. So, keep reading till the last word. I hope you would like it.
1. An ancient Greek philosopher named Anaxagoras, was the first person to suggest that Sun is a star. He came with this conclusion in 450 BC.
2. According to rough calculations, Weight of the Sun is equal to the weight of 3,33,000 Earths.
3. Light emitted by the sun takes 8 minutes & 20 seconds to reach Earth.
4. Our Sun generates a magnetic field powerful enough to spread throughout the Solar System. This magnetic field creates a phenomenon called 'Geomagnetic Storm' which causes worldwide disturbance of Earth’s magnetic field.
5. Sun emits each and every type of electromagnetic radiation but 99% of it comes in the form of Visible light, Ultraviolet light and Infrared Rays.
6. The heat and energy released from the core of the sun can take 4,000 to 100 thousand years to reach its surface. It varies because Sun's interior is not equally dense at all parts.
7. Sometimes a particular area on the surface of Sun can temporarily become less heated. As a result it appears darker than rest of the surface. These areas are called 'Sunspots'.
8. Sun take around 230-250 million years to complete one orbit aroun the center of Milky Way Galaxy. This amount of time is known as one Cosmic year.
9. Sun does not have a solid surface. It is a huge ball of heated gas which is constantly moving at an extremely fast speed.
10. Our Sun falls under the category of G-type main-sequence stars. Commonly known as G Dwarf star or a yellow dwarf.